Re: [ft] Rendering problems

From: Michael Zedler
Subject: Re: [ft] Rendering problems
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2007 15:34:28 +0200

Werner LEMBERG schrieb:
testing ftdiff with various Apple fonts I found a weird behaviour with Monaco.dfont in the 'unhinted mode' at several rendering sizes:

ok at, e.g., 13pt:    http://www.hft.ei.tum.de/mz/Monaco13pt.png
wrong at, e.g., 14pt: http://www.hft.ei.tum.de/mz/Monaco14pt.png

I don't get this.  For me it works on my GNU/Linux box (with 4.0.2),
this is, I tried

  ftdiff Monaco.dfont

then pressing the down arrow four times (I have version 4.1d3 of this
font) -- FreeType has been compiled with `make; make devel'.

Can you investigate further?  Which platform do you use?  What about
compiling with different optimization flags?

Mac OS X 10.4.9, Xcode 2.4.1 (gcc version 4.0.1 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 5367)), I grabbed both freetype2 and ft2demo via cvs (updated today). Monaco version "5.1d1e1".

I compiled freetype with
#define TT_CONFIG_OPTION_BYTECODE_INTERPRETER
/*#define TT_CONFIG_OPTION_UNPATENTED_HINTING*/

and no extra flags. No custom settings for ft2demo, either.

It would be nice if I could supply options to ftdiff specifying the subfont/the included bitmap font; I don't know which subfont is chosen by ftdiff right now. Opening Monaco.dfont with fontforge there are four bitmap sizes: 9,10,12,14; perhaps that's related to the problem?

I checked the other .dfonts, no such problems there (at least with the subfonts that are loaded by ftdiff). Well ok, HelveticaNeue looks scary ;-) http://www.hft.ei.tum.de/mz/HelveticaNeue.png

Michael