[ft] FT_Bitmap drawing Motif (CDE, HPUX)

From: Schlosser, Achim, MSIC24
Subject: [ft] FT_Bitmap drawing Motif (CDE, HPUX)
Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 13:47:17 +0200

Hello,

We are about to develop an application which needs to display
a wide range of scripts from Unicode 5.0. The target plattform
is HPUX 11.x. Since we don't want to rely on the HPUX font engine
to display the required TrueType fonts we would like to do so
using Freetype.

A port for HP-UX already exist, so the only remaining problem is
to draw the FT_Bitmap onto an Motif 2.x element. The native format
for doing so would be an Motif compliant bitmap, that is the XBM
format (please correct me if I'm wrong). Are there any other options?

My question now is, does anyone know if this has been done by
someone already (how?) and if not, what type of conversion would be
needed?
do we need to convert (MSB -> LSB) the bitmap buffer(FT_PIXEL_MODE_MONO)
to generate an XBM or are both formats equal in that sense.

Using Freetype to load and convert the TTFs to bitmaps would remove
a lot of headache during developement and make it more predictable.

Thanks a lot in advance

Achim