[ft] Font-Sizes of a bitmap font

From: Oliver Bandel
Subject: [ft] Font-Sizes of a bitmap font
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2008 19:33:12 +0100

Hello, I'am new to this list,

and just start with a question:

How can I find out, what font sizes are available in a fontfile?

For example I have a file
  /usr/share/fonts/X11/misc/9x18B-ISO8859-1.pcf.gz
and when using FT_Set_Pixel_Sizes(),
as explained in the tutorial, I can read out data
and can convert the bitmap to ASCII for example.
So my testcode is working.

But I have to use

 FT_Set_Pixel_Sizes(  face,  9, 18 );
 if( error) { ... }

for example, to set the pixekl size.

When I chose different values I do not get a result.

Maybe the reason is, that I use Bitmap, not vector
graphic's fonts.

Can the above step with setting the pixel size be
thrown out and a default-value be used for the
pixel sizes?
Or does this not work, because possibly more than one font is inside
the fontfile?

What I'am doing, is reading a font, for later using the font's
data to write a textlabel into a jpg-file.
I thought that way would be the easiest. Using vector-graphic
representation IMHO would not make sense, or at least too much effort.

Any ideas on that?

TIA,
   Oliver Bandel