[ft] Hinting

From: Oliver Bandel
Subject: [ft] Hinting
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 21:10:28 +0100

Hello,

I can already rread aout a font's glyphs,
write them into a picture and save it.

So, my labelling of pictures does work.

That's fine, but it seems, sometimes the
fonts look ugly.

Possibly hinting can help me, but I've not used it so far.

Is hinting something that explicitly must be activated?
Will this help me, when I write the glyphs into a picture file?
What, when I rescale the picture?

Maybe my approach is naive, but what I did is:

- read glyph-data from the fontfile
- read a jpeg-file
- write the glyph's data into the array, which represents the picture
- write the array back to a picture-file

The functions I used were those, explained in the freetype2-tutorial.

I don't know if hinting is already active, or how to activate it,
and how to use it.

Or is hinting a font-specific thing, which is defined
in the fontfile and will be applied automaticvally by freetype2-lib?

How can I make the textrendering better, when using
freetype2?

TIA,
   Oliver