Re: [ft] Hinting

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft] Hinting
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 10:19:06 +0100 (CET)

> That's fine, but it seems, sometimes the
> fonts look ugly.

Are you using anti-aliasing?  Without that, chances are *very* high to
get ugly renderings.

> Is hinting something that explicitly must be activated?

You select this with flags.

> Will this help me, when I write the glyphs into a picture file?

Of course.

> What, when I rescale the picture?

You always get best results if you first scale the picture and then
add the glyph images, of course.

> I don't know if hinting is already active, or how to activate it,
> and how to use it.

Uh, oh, please check the documentation.

> Or is hinting a font-specific thing, which is defined in the
> fontfile and will be applied automaticvally by freetype2-lib?

Again, please look up the documentation.

> How can I make the textrendering better, when using freetype2?

Try the `ftview', `ftview', or `ftdiff' demo programs.  Press the `?'
key to see the available options, then compare the source code with
the one you are writing.