[ft] freetype universal on Mac OS X 10.4 PowerPC

From: Ryan Schmidt
Subject: [ft] freetype universal on Mac OS X 10.4 PowerPC
Date: Sat, 17 May 2008 05:03:33 -0500

Hello friends. I'm the maintainer of the freetype port for the MacPorts project. I have a bug which was reported to us last year but I forgot about it until I encountered it myself just now. I finally filed a ticket in out issue tracker so you can read all the details here:

http://trac.macports.org/ticket/15331

The problem is that I cannot build a universal binary of freetype (2.3.5) when running on a Mac OS X 10.4 PowerPC machine. I believe this is because freetype is trying to link with /usr/lib/ libSystem.B.dylib even when cross-compiling for Intel. This doesn't work because on a Mac OS X 10.4 PowerPC machine, /usr/lib/ libSystem.B.dylib only contains PowerPC code.

I primarily use an Intel Mac now so I didn't notice the problem, because on Mac OS X 10.4 Intel /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (and all other components of the system) contains both Intel and PowerPC code. On Mac OS X 10.5, all system components contain both Intel and PowerPC code, regardless of whether the computer is Intel or PowerPC. So this problem only affects PowerPC Mac users running Mac OS X 10.4.

When the user requests a universal build of a port, we add "- isysroot /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk -arch i386 -arch ppc" to the CFLAGS and "-arch i386 -arch ppc" to the LDFLAGS, as is the usual procedure for creating a universal binary:

http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn2005/tn2137.html

However freetype doesn't seem to be making use of the sysroot in this case. Can you help me make freetype use the sysroot, or think of another solution? Thanks.