Re: [ft] freetype universal on Mac OS X 10.4 PowerPC

From: Ryan Schmidt
Subject: Re: [ft] freetype universal on Mac OS X 10.4 PowerPC
Date: Fri, 23 May 2008 23:22:30 -0500

On May 20, 2008, at 01:51, address@hidden wrote:

On Sat, 17 May 2008 05:03:33 -0500 Ryan Schmidt wrote:

When the user requests a universal build of a port, we add "-
isysroot /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk -arch i386 -arch ppc" to the
CFLAGS and "-arch i386 -arch ppc" to the LDFLAGS, as is the usual
procedure for creating a universal binary:

Could you tell me the reason why we should exclude
-isysroot XXX from LDFLAGS? If I add "-isysroot XXX"
to both of CFLAGS and LDFLAGS, "configure && make"
for latest freetype2 (on CVS) finishes successfully.
I guess addition of -isysroot to LDFLAGS may cause
some troubles and MacPorts developers excluded it
from LDFLAGS.

Thanks for finding that out! I didn't know that would work. MacPorts doesn't put -isysroot in the LDFLAGS by default because that's not what Apple says to do:

http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn2005/tn2137.html

But I do see that we have a few other ports that do put it in the LDFLAGS (libiconv, unrar, xrender, XviD). I added it to the freetype portfile which works around the issue for now.