[ft] freetype displays (special) fonts?

From: Andreas Heinrich
Subject: [ft] freetype displays (special) fonts?
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 07:03:57 +0000

Hi all,

in my application i have problems with some fonts, which every character displayed as box.

After analyzing the fonts, it seem's that freetype can't handle some fonts from Linguist's Software.

Windows can dispay this fonts correctly. I found in context with this fonts a report on

http://www.nabble.com/GetTextMetricsA-doesn't-return-proper-First-Last-Char-for-Wingdings-Font-td5597321.html

"We also have an interesting finding:
Although Symbol font is determined by a symbol bit flag in OS2 table
ulCodePageRange1 combined with a symbol cmap subtable in TTF file,
Window seems not respecting this rule. Practically, Windows treat any
fonts with symbol cmap subtable as symbol font (sample TT fonts are MT
Extra, CityBlueprint, CommercialPi BT, CountryBlueprint, EuroRoman,
PanRoman, Romantic, SansSerif, SuperFrench, Technic, UniversalMath1 BT,
etc). In the test package, statement "P20" proves this point.

Any ideas, how to handle this fonts with freetype?

Thanks

  Andreas