Re: [ft] The docs confused me + Set_Char_Size behaviour

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft] The docs confused me + Set_Char_Size behaviour
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2009 09:53:27 +0200 (CEST)

>> A value of 0 for the horizontal resolution means 'same as vertical
>> resolution', a value of 0 for the vertical resolution means 'same
>> as horizontal resolution'. If both values are zero, 72 dpi is used
>> for both dimensions.
>
> I am sure this doesn't happen here. I suppose the two calls should
> give the same results (I have the feeling I still haven't got the
> terminology right):
>
> FT_Set_Char_Size(face, 72 * 64, 72 * 64, 300, 300 ); (A)
> FT_Set_Char_Size(face,  0 * 64,  0 * 64, 300, 300 ); (B)

The second and third parameters are not the resolution!  The text
above talks about the fourth and fifth argument.

> 1- Am I understanding the docs correctly?

No :-)

> Is there anyone working on the docs?

Of course!  It's actively maintained.

> For example, I see some references to FT_RENDER_MODE_DEFAULT, which
> one guesses to be _NORMAL, but anyway, I had some trouble grasping
> the lib.

Thanks for the report; this is a documentation bug, fixed now in the
git repository.

> 2- What's the rationale of the automatically created size object and
> the FT_FaceRect::size pointer? If the goal is to just avoid a call
> to FT_New_Size could the doc put more emphasis on the fact the
> automatically created size object is unusable? Is it meant to be the
> active size for the font face or just a nice place to store a Size
> object?

Well, the documentation of FT_FaceRec says:

  size    The current active size for this face.

Is this unclear?  Can you provide a better wording?