[ft] Modifying/Enhancing the Truetype Interpreter

From: Moony
Subject: [ft] Modifying/Enhancing the Truetype Interpreter
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 13:19:39 -0600

In reference to:
http://www.microsoft.com/typography/cleartype/TruetypeCleartype.aspx

The above whitepaper goes into some detail about the inner workings of Cleartype. (Many people often refer to the subpixel rendering capability in Freetype erroneously as "Cleartype", even though Cleartype does much more than just subpixel rendering.) I'm interested in using the details described in this whitepaper to make a patch (official or unofficial, don't care) to enhance the existing TT interpreter in Freetype. The enhanced TT interpreter would probably be most useful with AA or subpixel, but not with B/W, where the existing TT is preferable. Essentially it would modify the TT interpreter to ignore DELTAP instructions in the X direction under various conditions.

It looks like the main gist of the paper is in the sections "ClearType Asymmetric Super-sampling" and "DELTAP and SHPIX". I know very little about the instructing of TT fonts, much less the inner workings of Freetype. So, my questions are:

* Is anybody with more knowledge / experience with TT instrucing / Freetype willing to attempt to implement this enhanced TT interpreter?
* How difficult of a problem is this?  Is this feasible?

Regardless, I will be playing with the TT code in Freetype (and I'm sure learning things along the way). I realize that there are a limited (although very popular) set of fonts that are well-hinted for the screen, but I think that in certain pixel ranges (10-17) this method of interpreting looks substantially better than most alternatives, and is well worth it for fonts you are looking at for 10+ hours per day.

Thanks,
Moony