Re: [ft] putting text in a box

From: Dave Calkins
Subject: Re: [ft] putting text in a box
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 10:38:27 -0500

Thanks, I'll try both of those. Do you know, though, of a way to get the descent value for an individual glyph reliably for any font?

On 1/20/2010 9:51 AM, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
If you have a negative value in the bbox, this is the amount below
the baseline.

I'm not getting negative values in the bounding box.
Hmm.  You should indeed write a small FreeType test program which
uses the FreeType API directly.  Then you can compare the results.

It's easily possible that the glyph `E' descends slightly (due to
serifs, for example).
In that case, the descent was definitely not from a serif.  It was a
value much larger than you'd expect.  I drew the "E", then drew a
cross-hair at the output positionn and there was really no descent.
Which font?  You might use, say, FontForge to check the glyph's
dimensions.