[ft] kerning question

From: Dave Calkins
Subject: [ft] kerning question
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 10:40:14 -0500

I'm rendering text to OpenGL via FreeTypeGL (which calls FreeType) on Windows 7.

The font face is "Arial Unicode MS" (loaded from "C:\Windows\Fonts\ARIALUNI.TTF") and is sized to 9pts at 96dpi.

When comparing the rendering of this text using the Windows GDI APIs vs. the FreeType rendering I'm seeing a small difference. The GDI rendering results in a slightly wider string.

I took a closer look and the individual letters are the same size, but the intra-letter spacing is slightly larger for some of the letters with the Windows GDI rendering.

This suggests to me that the kerning is not exactly the same.

Are there any parameters I might need to be tweaking to get the kerning to match Windows GDI rendering?