Re: [ft] kerning question

From: Dave Calkins
Subject: Re: [ft] kerning question
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 11:19:21 -0500

ok, thanks.  Perhaps that's whats going on then.

On 1/26/2010 11:17 AM, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
I'm rendering text to OpenGL via FreeTypeGL (which calls FreeType)
on Windows 7.

The font face is "Arial Unicode MS" (loaded from
"C:\Windows\Fonts\ARIALUNI.TTF") and is sized to 9pts at 96dpi.

When comparing the rendering of this text using the Windows GDI APIs
vs. the FreeType rendering I'm seeing a small difference.  The GDI
rendering results in a slightly wider string.
I suspect that OpenGL only uses the kerning from the `kern' table,
while MS Windows uses the kerning from the `GPOS' table (Arial is an
OpenType font, AFAIK) which usually contains much more kern pairs and
probably even different values.