Re: [ft] problem with "MS Sans Serif" font

From: Dave Calkins
Subject: Re: [ft] problem with "MS Sans Serif" font
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 13:30:49 -0500

The bottom line is that we want to allow the user to pick a font and
have it work.  If it doesn't look as good, then they can decide to
pick something else.  But we want to still be able to render the
requested face at the requested size.
I suggest to disable bitmap fonts altogether since their use is very
limited; IMHO they only make sense as console fonts.  Use the
FT_IS_SCALABLE macro to check for that.

     Werner

Looks like the windows "choose font" dialog takes a flag, CF_SCALABLEONLY which only presents scalable fonts to the user. I think we'll just make sure to pass in this flag and avoid the issue of non-scalable fonts entirely.