Re: [ft] problem with "MS Sans Serif" font

From: Dave Calkins
Subject: Re: [ft] problem with "MS Sans Serif" font
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 10:37:08 -0500

Don't mix up pixel size (which is absolute) and point size (which is
relative to the selected DPI value).  11pt for 72dpi means a glyph
height of 11 pixels; 11pt for 96dpi, however, is 15 pixels (rounded),
and this size isn't available in the font.  At 72dpi, the font
contains faces for 11pt, 13pt, 16pt, 19pt, 24pt, and 32pt.  At 96dpi,
you get faces for 8pt, 10pt, 12pt, 14pt, 18pt, and 24pt.

Understood. So is ftview only able to show the first font face in the file? The below, for example, also gives the "Invalid Pixel Size" error, despite ftdump seeming to indicate that face 1 is 11pts. The other sizes also fail with the same error.

    ftview -r 72 13 sserife.fon

Also, I'm able to use this font in WordPad, for example, and pick 8,
10, 11, etc. point sizes and it works.
If you select a font size in WordPad which is not in the font
(e.g. 11pt at 96dpi), you either get glyphs from a different, scalable
font, or Windows does indeed apply scaling to a bitmap font which
should produce horrible optical results.

Is there any way to tell FreeType to scale if necessary to get the size I'm asking for? The text looks fine in WordPad, but as you indicated, its hard to say whether or not its substituting another font I guess.

The bottom line is that we want to allow the user to pick a font and have it work. If it doesn't look as good, then they can decide to pick something else. But we want to still be able to render the requested face at the requested size.