Re: [ft] anti-aliasing question

From: Dave Calkins
Subject: Re: [ft] anti-aliasing question
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2010 18:21:20 -0500

The gray value depends on how much the shape of the
glyph covers the area of the pixel. Fully covered pixels
become black, uncovered pixels white, and a 50% covered
pixel will be 50% gray.

To get the result you want, the shape of the glyph has to
be changed so that fewer pixels will be partially covered.
This is what hinting does: deform the outline to align with
the pixel grid.
at

got it, thanks for the additional clarification.

Removing the FT_LOAD_NO_HINTING flag should affect the rendering
in the way you have been asking.
I tried removing that flag before and saw no difference in the
anti-aliasing.  Perhaps I missed something or my test was incorrect.  I'll
try that again and see if I can get it to have any effect.
Try it again, the difference between hinted and unhinted should
be pretty drastic.

Which font are you using by the way? Some fonts have better
hinting instructions than others. You should also make sure that
your freetype library is compiled with the bytecode interpreter
enabled if you want to match windows' rendering (look at ftoption.h).

-Tor

One of the test fonts I've been using is "Lucida Sans Unicode". I'll give it a try and see what happens. It might be a matter of verifying the flags are getting passed through FreeTypeGL to FreeType correctly too.

On a related note, do I run into patent/license issues as a result of hinting? I recall reading that on the FreeType site and based on that description am thinking that using the hinting might actually mean I need to secure a license. At what point, in regards to the hinting in FreeType do I end up needing to deal with a license?