Re: [ft] anti-aliasing question

From: Dave Calkins
Subject: Re: [ft] anti-aliasing question
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 10:51:59 -0500

On 1/28/2010 12:51 PM, Tor Andersson wrote:
On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 5:14 PM, Dave Calkins<address@hidden>  wrote:
When comparing FreeType text rendering (in OpenGL via FreeTypeGL) with
Windows GDI text rendering, it appears that FreeType is applying "more
aggressive" anti-aliasing effects.

The GDI text is anti-aliased, just not "as much".  The FreeType text looks
much smoother.

I'm curious, are there parameters to fine-tune "how much" anti-aliasing is
applied?
I believe you are looking for how much hinting, also known as grid fitting,
is applied rather than anti aliasing. Windows font rendering deforms the
font outlines very aggressively to align to the pixel grid, resulting in very
few gray pixels when rendered.

You'll have to look at the FreeTypeGL source to see what options it
passes to freetype for rendering. If you want to get results close to what
Windows does by default you'll need to use the bytecode interpreter hinting.

I checked the FreeTypeGL source and it looks like its passing in the below values.

    For FT_Load_Glyph, FT_LOAD_NO_HINTING | FT_LOAD_NO_BITMAP

    For FT_Render_Glyph, FT_RENDER_MODE_NORMAL

Experimenting with these hasn't seemed to have any effect on the amount of smoothing (whether anti-aliasing or a result of hinting).

Basically I guess I'd like fewer gray pixels :) Not sure how to get that result.