Re: [ft] FreeType Metrics Question

From: Andreas Sandberg
Subject: Re: [ft] FreeType Metrics Question
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2012 11:35:07 -0700

Hi,

     Thanks for your input, let me give a little more color as to the problem as maybe it will help.  I'm trying to calculate the position of some text on a page after parsing this text from an xml format which contains the position of the text, font, size, etc.  The text is originally laid out in a WYSIWG type editor however after it's been translated by my program, the position is slightly off but only for certain fonts when displayed in a browser.  It appears as though the source program/editor aligns the text from the top of the glyph or ascent line versus a standard web browser which appears to be aligning the text by the cap height.  I would like to be able to compute the difference so I can make some slight adjustments in my positioning algorithm.  So, I just need a way to retrieve the cap height from a font if that's possible.  From some of the font editors I've briefly played with, it does seem possible but I cant' find reference to it in the freetype api.  Thanks again for any help.

Andreas