Re: [ft] FreeType Metrics Question

From: Grzegorz Rolek
Subject: Re: [ft] FreeType Metrics Question
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2012 19:36:58 +0200

There's no explicit metric for the cap height in a font file. There indeed
might be such a metric in font editors, but only as a guide for the designer. I
doubt any rendering engine calculates the cap height from the font because that
would mean making a lot of assumptions. I actually don't think the value is of
any use at this level since the process of spacing the line requires only one
height from the baseline up to set it properly and the ascender value provides
this already.

If you indeed need a consistent line spacing between different platforms, then
you probably want to look into the line gap value, i.e. extra whitespace set
for a particular font, which has redundant entries in the font, each of which
being used differently by different platforms. For brief explanation of the
problem see the section on linespacing, page 23, at Dr. Jürgen Willrodt's
presentation on OpenType spec at
http://fonttools.org/downloads/TD_2009/OpenType_Status_2009.pdf.