Re: [ft] How to generate a glyph bitmap of a specific pixel size using F

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft] How to generate a glyph bitmap of a specific pixel size using FT_Set_Pixel_Sizes
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2014 23:21:36 +0200 (CEST)

> I'm not very clear on what the parameters of `FT_Request_Size'
> represent and what this function does.  This function appears to be
> some kind of maximum size for the glyph.

It sets scaling values for a font roughly based on the hypothetical EM
square.  Basically, a request for a given size returns the font
designer's idea of this size, nothing more.

> Actually, I am just wondering what I should do if I want to generate
> a glyph *of exactly a specific bounding size*.  Does this function
> meet my need?

No.  Such a function *does not exist*!  Due to hinting, the exact bbox
of a glyph is unpredictable for many glyph formats without actually
rendering the glyph.

I can only repeat: You have to apply trial and error to get what you want.