Re: [ft] checking national glyhs

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft] checking national glyhs
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2014 23:50:14 +0200 (CEST)

> I'd like to detect whether a glyph (e.g. 0x0150) is part of the
> font. Actually detect Hungarian language support of webpages. Font
> file names are extracted from CSS.

You rather want to detect whether Unicode input character U+0150 has a
mapping to a non-zero glyph index.

> Is it OK?
> ftdump -v /usr/share/fonts/truetype/msttcorefonts/verdana.ttf | grep
> 0x0151

No, it isn't, you need flag `-V' for that :-)

> Or should I care about these?
> charmaps
>    0: platform 1, encoding 0, language 0
>    1: platform 3, encoding 1, language 0 (active)

Yes, you normally need a (3,1) encoding, as described in the OpenType
specification.  There are other Unicode mappings, but those are very
rare today.

However, I strongly suggest that you use already existing solutions
like the `fontconfig' library, which contains code to scan a font for
detecting the supported scripts and languages.  A single glyph doesn't
make up a font for Hungarian...