Re: [ft] Vertical Center Justification

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft] Vertical Center Justification
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2015 09:01:03 +0200 (CEST)

> Vertical Center Justification

> We can’t figure this out!  We don’t understand how the FreeType
> engine calculates vertical centering.  Can you please give me exact
> instructions on where to place the glyph Relative to the WinAscent
> and WinDescent and Baseline to achieve perfect vertical centering?
> Or do I have it all wrong and this is a calculation that uses the
> bounding box dimensions.  Whatever it is please let me know how to
> accomplish this.

You haven't told us relative to *what* you would like to center the
icon...

Assuming that you simply want to have the glyph as an image, to be
positioned without relation to surrounding text, I would definitely
use the bounding box, since many fonts don't properly set up WinAscent
and WinDescent values.