[ft] Vertical Center Justification

From: Richard Destremps
Subject: [ft] Vertical Center Justification
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2015 21:50:20 -0400

At Lutron electronics We are using FontCreator to create custom fonts with icons such as the one shown below:

The artwork for these icons comes from our customers, and we create a custom font to LASER mark or cut our products. The font is loaded into the LASER and the LASER "prints" the icons on our products using your FreeType engine. When we print these icons we would like to center justify them in both horizontal (X) and vertical (Y) directions.

Horizontal Center Justification

We can easily center justify the icons horizontally by doing the following when creating the font glyph:

A.      Place the left side of the icon image at 0.0

B.      Place the left side bearing at 0.0

C.      Place the right side bearing so there is zero padding, so that the line falls exactly on the right edge of the image

Then when we print this image we simply specify horizontal center justification, and it works perfectly.

Vertical Center Justification

We can’t figure this out!  We don’t understand how the FreeType engine calculates vertical centering.  Can you please give me exact instructions on where to place the glyph Relative to the WinAscent and WinDescent and Baseline to achieve perfect vertical centering?  Or do I have it all wrong and this is a calculation that uses the bounding box dimensions. Whatever it is please let me know how to accomplish this.

We need a method to do this that is repeatable and predictable because we need to process thousands of icons, every day new fonts with new icons. So we can’t do this by printing a sample, measuring the error, and shifting the glyph image.

We need a way to do this once, like the horizontal centering, it works every time.

Thanks do much for your help.

| Rich Destremps |  Principal Engineer |  610-282-6676  |  address@hidden  |  cell: 610-533-9482  |