[ft] Fw: Quick Question RE FreeType 2.6.1

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: [ft] Fw: Quick Question RE FreeType 2.6.1
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2015 23:10:26 +0200 (CEST)

--- Begin Message --- Subject: Re: Quick Question RE FreeType 2.6.1 Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2015 23:05:39 +0200 (CEST)
Hello Michael!

> I obtained the software “FreeType 2.6.1” just a couple of days ago
> by downloading “freetype-2.6.1.tar.bz2” from
>http://sourceforge.net/projects/freetype/files/” onto my Mac (I’m
> using OS X “El Capitan,” along with the absolute very latest version
> of Xcode 7 developer tool package), and I moved the unpacked
> FreeType2.6.1 directory to my “/usr/local/” directory. (I should
> mention at this point that I am about as newbie as you can get about
> this command line stuff!)

OK.  So my first advice: Don't move stuff manually to `/usr/local'!
This is a directory hierarchy where local stuff gets *installed*,
usually by `make install' or something similar.  Instead, I recommend
that you build programs and libraries in a subdirectory of your home
directory or a similar location.

> “Make: ./install-sh: No such file or directory”

This is a bug fixed already in the git repository, and you can
circumvent the issue by doing

  cd freetype-2.6.1
  ln -s builds/unix/install-sh .

> [...] could you please advise me as to when you think that an
> updated version of FreeType2.6.1 will become available to fix this
> missing “install-sh” thing?

The next version, 2.6.2, will have the fix.  I don't know when I will
release this version, but I guess this will happen within a month.

    Werner

--- End Message ---