Re: [ft] Misaki Mincho metrics issues

From: Nikolay Sivov
Subject: Re: [ft] Misaki Mincho metrics issues
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2015 01:39:35 +0300

On 23.10.2015 1:07, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
On Fri, 23 Oct 2015 00:35:07 +0300, Nikolay Sivov wrote:

I have some troubles with Misaki Mincho font (misakimn.ttf) [1],
regarding embedded bitmaps metrics.

The question is mostly if it's reasonable to have some kind of
workaround for that in freetype itself, like ignoring descender
entirely in such cases or something else?

Or just ignore the bitmaps metrics. Bitmaps are there as a rendering
optimization, they’re not supposed to disagree with the scalable
metrics.

Thing is that this font is not reported as scalable by freetype, I think this logic kicks in:

---
      /* Check the scalable flag based on `loca'. */
      if ( !ttface->internal->incremental_interface &&
           ttface->num_fixed_sizes                  &&
           face->glyph_locations                    &&
           tt_check_single_notdef( ttface )         )
      {
        FT_TRACE5(( "tt_face_init:"
                    " Only the `.notdef' glyph has an outline.\n"
                    " Resetting scalable flag to FALSE.\n" ));

        ttface->face_flags &= ~FT_FACE_FLAG_SCALABLE;
      }
---

Initially scalable flag is set on load of course, because rudimentary 'glyf' table is present. So as long as FT_IS_SCALABLE is 0 it should be considered purely bitmap from client point of view in my opinion.