Re: [ft] Regression of Andale Mono with v35 vs v40

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft] Regression of Andale Mono with v35 vs v40
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2017 07:19:37 +0200 (CEST)

> Then comes the next question, rendering with antialiasing. This is,
> as far as I can tell from my screenshots, identical in 2.8 and
> 2.8.1, but in my eyes not as good as the rendering in v35, the new
> result is not as clear, it's fuzzier, harder to read.

Again, this `harder to read' is subjective.  For example, Mac OS X
does this all the time for all fonts, since they (essentially) no
longer do any hinting.

> Is this intentional, or a side-effect of something else?

Intentional.

> Is there any way to get v40 to render antialiased like v35 did?

No.  You can set the FREETYPE_PROPERTIES environment variable to
globally change v40 back to v35; recent versions of Firefox and Chrome
should also respond to that, AFAIK.

  FREETYPE_PROPERTIES=truetype:interpreter-version=35

Note that v40 is not an improvement over v35; it's rather a different
hinting engine implementation mainly to support subpixel rendering
(and higher screen resolutions).