[Fsfe-uk] Whitehall/Microsoft negotiations

From: Alex Hudson
Subject: [Fsfe-uk] Whitehall/Microsoft negotiations
Date: 24 Nov 2001 17:35:32 +0000

Apologies if this has already been posted to the list - my incoming mail
server appears to be screwed *again* (been having problems for the past
few days, uklinux.net are moving their servers it appears :(, and they
have been unrouteable most of today).

This article...
http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/0,,5-2001543667,00.html

.. states that the OGC is currently negotiating the next round of
software license agreements, and is looking elsewhere. While initially I
don't believe this to be much except maybe a stick with which to beat
Microsoft in negotiations, I think this is something we should press
hard if possible. We've already seen the NHS get signed up to a "pay us
lots of subscription & own nothing after three years" deal, and it
really annoys me.

Would people here be in favour of doing some letter writing, at least as
a start?