[Fsfe-uk] Re: Posible Structures for FSFE-UK

From: MJ Ray
Subject: [Fsfe-uk] Re: Posible Structures for FSFE-UK
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 18:04:53 +0000

John Seago:
> Whilst I have up to now advocated an IPS as a possible structure, it
> should be borne in mind that my views have been coloured by a desire,
> (within other organisations), to maintain a democratic framework. However,
> it may be desirable, in view of the likely objectives of FSFE-UK, to seek
> to provide strong leadership as a priority, in which case a Company
> Limited by Guarantee, may provide the best framework. From my searches the
> afternoon it may also be that the legislation has changed since I was last
> involved in discussion on a similar matter.

Thanks for your help so far.  I suspected that things might have changed a
little, but have they changed so far as to close off the conversion route
from unincorporated to IPS, I wonder.  Before dismissing any option, you
should have it clear that we are *not* talking about forming FSFE-UK yet,
but about a UK associate body of the FSFE, currently named AFFS.  While FSFE
does not take membership by subscription or democratic mandates from its
donors, there is a need for a supporter's membership body in this country.
It may well be the case that different legal forms are appropriate for AFFS
and FSFE-UK.

In any case, the basic motivation for suggesting an unincorporated
association as an immediate step remains: it is a step which can take place
nearly immediately and allows the organisation to start acting as such
before incorporation formalities are completed.  I think it will be
difficult to complete the formalities without an organisation to support the
effort, as we sadly seem to be demonstrating at the moment.

I await further replies to my earlier email with interest.  Even if you
don't feel strongly, please at least indicate that you are alive out there
and contribute any random thoughts ;-)
--
MJR