Re: [Fsfe-uk] Happened, happening, needing to happen

From: Richard Smedley
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Happened, happening, needing to happen
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2002 15:33:55 +0000

Brian Gough wrote:

>  > I sthere any reason for LXF and Linux Magazine _not_ to get an
>  > announcement out a.s.a.p.?
>
> I think we should scale up gradually, to sort out any bugs in the
> organization.  Free software is a long term project, so a making an
> announcement a month or two later won't make much difference.
>
> Ideally we should have at least one project in the pipeline that we
> can publicise in our initial announcement, so we will gain credibility
> as an organization that can actually organize things.
>
> I'll try to post some more concrete ideas at the weekend.

Can we come up with a consensus on this?

Trying to find a middle way, I'm inclined to go for
(as far as Linux Format is concerned):

1. a two line mention in the News page and/or the write up
of the Sheffield event (on the User Groups page).
[the official launch will then get 'proper' coverage]

&

2. A couple of paragraphs in our "Help Wanted" pages -
Something along the lines of:

"We start with a brief request to everyone in the UK. As you may have
read in the [news page??], the Sheffield Linux Seminar saw the formation
of The Association For Free Software (AFFS) - an organisation seeking
to support and promote Free Software within the UK. AFFS aim to collect
a large membership of Free Software supporters to back them in
representing
the interests of the community at a national level.
As the organisation gears up for its official launch, and the launch of
its first campaign, there are many tasks that need doing.
By the time you read this the AFFS will be ready to accept membership -
have
a look at the website, to see what you can do to help Free Software in
this
country:
http://www.affs.org.uk/
Or jump on board the mailing list and get involved
http://mail.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/fsfe-uk";

Excuse the poor English, and any factual errors or omissions - this is
just
some notes.

Now, as I said above, can we come to some sort of consensus on publicity?
(preferably before I miss the deadlines ;-)

- Richard

--

Richard Smedley
Production Editor, Linux Format