Re: [Fsfe-uk] Fwd: UK Leading Patents?

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Fwd: UK Leading Patents?
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2002 00:44:22 GMT

Xavier Drudis Ferran <address@hidden> wrote:
> So they're like a ministery, then. I thought they were only civil
> servants.

Your previous thought was correct.  They have no elected officials and
report to the Department for Trade and Industry (DTI) as a government
agency.  Specifically, it seems they currently report to the Minister for
Competitiveness, currently Douglas Alexander MP
http://www.dti.gov.uk/ministers/ministers/alexander.html

> I guess the UKPTO writes a draft and Parliament ammends and/or approves
> it?. I mean the final decision is still on the elected representatives, I
> hope.

The Patent Office advise the DTI, but should not be writing proposals
themselves, as I understand it.

--
MJR