Re: [Fsfe-uk] National Computer Centre reports on Open Source

From: Alex Hudson
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] National Computer Centre reports on Open Source
Date: 25 Mar 2002 22:28:15 +0000

On Mon, 2002-03-25 at 20:20, Kevin Taylor wrote:
> Does AFFS plan to have any links with the NCC (or the Open Forum
> Europe initiative for that matter) looking at open source software
> use within business?

AFAIK, there is no-one actively pursuing links with the NCC at the
moment, but there is no reason why we shouldn't be making contact with
them - it definitely is something we should do.

> Is there any sort of official support, etc, for these 'industry'
> type studies?

Depends on how good the study is :-). While they lose marks for saying
"Open Source", they gain some credit for pitching it as an alternative
to proprietary software (usually, the alternative is stated as being
commercial software ;). We probably ought to contact the NCC - if only
to advise them of our presence, and to see if we can send any
information for their "Open Source - the UK Opportunity" seminar. Anyone
volunteering?