Re: [Fsfe-uk] Why FS is a Good Thing: Draft 3

From: hobbit
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Why FS is a Good Thing: Draft 3
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 13:18:26 +0000

On Fri, Mar 29, 2002 at 12:37:24PM +0000 or thereabouts, address@hidden wrote:
> >   Free Software such as that distributed under the GPL ensures four
> >   freedoms: (i) the freedom to run the program, for any purpose, (ii)
> >   the freedom to study how the program works, and adapt it to your
> >   needs, (iii) the freedom to redistribute copies so you can help
> >   others and (iv) the freedom to improve the program, and release your
> >   improvements to the public, so that the whole community benefits.
>
> Too many commas?

Why is everyone afraid of semi-colons? Perfect place to put 'em.

> > \item Most software is written in-house and never sold, and in this
> >   case software patents are a hindrance.  Free Software is not a
> >   commodity, it is more like infrastructure -- freely available to all
> >   businesses and an enabler of progress and innovation.
>
> Software patents seem to appear out of the blue here.  `Who was talking
> about software patents?'  They're not mentioned again either.

Yeah, I wondered this.

> > \item Support for Free Software is often much better than support for
> > proprietary software.  Mailing lists, bulletin boards and newsgroups
> > exist where users post questions and receive prompt and helpful
> > replies.  People are encouraged to report bugs and these are quickly
> > fixed.
>
> Is `web forum' a more familiar term than `bulletin board' these days?

Could add "users' groups" too.

> I thought it was very good overall.

I think the format of the list at the bottom is wrong. Since you
are introducing it to people who know nothing about it, you don't
want to say "programname -- does this" for each. You want the
function of the program or package first, and an example second.
So "Web browsers, such as Mozilla,..." or "Word processors, such as..."

Telsa