Re: [Fsfe-uk] Academia

From: Marc Eberhard
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Academia
Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 07:59:52 +0100

On Thu, May 09, 2002 at 06:46:03PM +0000, MJ Ray wrote:
> It's a sorry state of affairs, having to classify things as useless to avoid
> being prevented from publishing academic produce.  I don't think it happens
> in general, so why for software?

It does happen in general. Aston sold a patent in pharmaceutics for 18M GBP
and build a new conference centre with it. Smaller amounts are welcome too.
No matter, whether it is software, hardware, medicine...

They claim this is fair, as the university funding from the government has
dramatically fallen and the university is thus more or less self financing
in the expectation of further cuts from the government. In fact it becomes
more a company then a university. But this seems to be the case for most HE
institutions in the UK. Yes, sad. Very sad.

Bye,
Marc

email: address@hidden
email: address@hidden, web: http://www.aston.ac.uk/~eberhama/