[Fsfe-uk] Community Linux Training Centre - new web site

From: Paul Mobbs
Subject: [Fsfe-uk] Community Linux Training Centre - new web site
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 18:39:30 +0100

Hi all,

Some of you may have seen previous information about the 'Community Linux
Training Centre' (CLTC) idea. Well, it's now up and running.

It now has a web site detailing information about the project at:
http://www.fraw.org.uk/cltc/

The Community/Linux Training Centre is a project to develop and trial a
wholly mobile computer network that provides a desktop computing environment,
but is also able to simulate a local area network and Internet environment.
This enables the teaching of computer skills without a telephone
line/Internet connection.

Why a "community - linux" training centre? The primary use of this system
will be to teach computer and networking skills to civil society groups. But
it is also a valuable demonstration platform for the GNU/Linux operating
system within the context of civil society. For those learning how to use
computers for office-based tasks there are few obstacles. But when learning
network-based tasks there are a number of barriers. For example, the cost of
being online, or the problem of finding people to network with. The CLTC
system solves these problems by letting people learn together on a closed,
local network.

Also - all feedback appreciated.

P.

- --
- -------------------

"We are not for names, nor men, nor titles of Government, nor are we for
this party nor against the other but we are for justice and mercy and
truth and peace and true freedom, that these may be exalted in our nation,
and that goodness, righteousness, meekness, temperance, peace and unity
with God, and with one another, that these things may abound."
(Edward Burroughs, 1659 - from 'Quaker Faith and Practice')

Paul Mobbs, Mobbs' Environmental Investigations,
tel./fax (+44/0)1295 261864

email - address@hidden
website - http://www.fraw.org.uk/mobbsey.html
public key - http://www.fraw.org.uk/keylist.html