Re: [Fsfe-uk] Microsoft 'hoovers millions' from UK schools - MP

From: Illtud Daniel
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Microsoft 'hoovers millions' from UK schools - MP
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 15:17:36 +0100

Brian Gough wrote:

> The Hansard search engine is also useful here.
>
> Unfortunately I haven't been able to get it to search for "free
> software" as a phrase (it returns matches on the words "free" and
> "software" separately, which gives too many hits) .  I was able to
> find hits on a few other terms like Linux, etc though.

I don't think this contains any session information - it's the url
for the results on the search for the exact phrase 'free software'
in Hansard (apologies for the ridiculosness of this url):

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/cgi-bin/dialogserverTSO?SEARCHTYPE=PROB&THRESHOLD=100&SAVEDATETYPE=ANY&SAVEDB=ukparl&CGIDATETYPE=&QUERY00=%22free+software%22&PROP00=T%3DP&QUERY01=&PROP01=T%3DB%2CP%3DJ0&QUERY02=&PROP02=T%3DP%2CP%3DJ1&QUERY09=&PROP09=T%3DB&ANDQUERY=&ORQUERY=&FREETEXT=%22free+software%22&NOTQUERY=&CMD%3Dsearch.run%26FILE%3Dresults.x=19&CMD%3Dsearch.run%26FILE%3Dresults.y=8&CMD%3Dsearch.run%26FILE%3Dresults=Search&B=F9Commons+Hansard&B=F9Lords+Hansard&B=F9Official+Report+%28Hansard%29+Index&SPEAKER=&QUESTION=&B=&STARTDATE=&ENDDATE=&DATETYPE=ANY&ONDAY=&ONMONTH=&ONYEAR=&SINCEDAY=&SINCEMONTH=&SINCEYEAR=&BETWEENDAY1=&BETWEENMONTH1=&BETWEENYEAR1=&BETWEENDAY2=&BETWEENMONTH2=&BETWEENYEAR2=&ORGANISE_CODED=R%3Adate

It takes a while to display (I'm not surprised - WhoTF designed
that query interface??)

The first hit *is* about Free Software, the others aren't (they
use the term 'free software' about some software being provided
for free)

I like Bob Blizzard's ideas. I suspect that the UK education
system has paid out more than enough over the years to pay
for the development of an entire Office Suite. Point them to
OpenOffice. In fact, I'll be asking my LEA (or individual
schools, whoever's in charge of purchasing atm) if they've
evaluated OpenOffice, and if not, why not? As a public sector
worker myself, I'm familiar with the rules on Best Value
procurement. (Yes, we will be evaluating OpenOffice here at
the National Library...)

--
Illtud Daniel                                 address@hidden
Uwch Ddadansoddwr Systemau                       Senior Systems Analyst