[Fsfe-uk] OSS Supporters - Was Re: Expo

From: Martyn Ranyard
Subject: [Fsfe-uk] OSS Supporters - Was Re: Expo
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 11:53:53 +0100

At 10:42 AM 10/14/02 +0100, Alex McLintock wrote:
Hello Folks,

I run one of a number of small to medium sized companies who want to provide support for Free Software to other companies. To help us all I have set up a directory of these companies to be found at the URL below.

Good work, and I will be registering our company, but I have the following initial feedback :

1) Open Source is not necessarily Free - Free Software is what AFFS / FSFE are about, maybe you should think of making it the Free Software support list. 2) Your list of "Open Source" projects is very limited - I have added a list at the end of this mail of suggestions. 3) Areas of expertise - obviously for example "setting up a RAID server with cd/dvdwriting centralised printing/scanning/faxing/pdf-creation" isn't a piece of software, but done within Free Software i.e. GNU/Linux, Samba and Ghostscript is a complex task, and it's the integration that is needed. Okay, I'm explaining our company's niche here, but to get people onboard, they need to be able to sell themselves.

I briefly said hello to the people at the stand at the Linux expo and chatted about the directory. The person I chatted to said that others were interested in starting a similar directory. I'd be quite happy to discuss sharing the workload (and the Kudos). Perhaps we can set things up so that the database can mirrored on other companies' websites?

I'm sure we can mirror it.

Comments people? Is this an ok topic to discuss on this list?

I would imagine that aside from the reservations about the use of the OSS term, it would be on-topic, but not for "Re: Expo"

Alex McLintock

List of Free Software we use (Obviously incomplete, in no particular order, and not sure if all are Free, I'm doing this off the top of my head):

Samba; netatalk; GhostScript; APSFilter; Bind; Postfix; Sendmail; Qmail; Sane; OpenSSL; OpenSSH; FreeS/WAN; KDE; Gnome; VNC (not Free afaik); Cygwin; Transcode; FFMpeg; mplayer/mencoder; Plex86; raidtools; XFS; ReiserFS; ext3; FreePascal; Lazarus; PostgreSQL; MySQL; NUT; Gimp; ImageMagick; bash; Python; ipchains; iptables; sox; Horde; I give up, I can't think of any more, my brain is fried.

-
Martyn Ranyard
Free Software Advocate

jabber - address@hidden