Re: [Fsfe-uk] Red Hat and the DMCA

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Red Hat and the DMCA
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2002 21:48:12 +0100

Hi,

> On another issue has anyone seen the licensing conditions for RH 8.0 yet?
> John Winters has put up a section on his Cheap CDs page stating that the
> licensing now appears to preclude his being able to offer RH 8.0 at all
> except as an official boxed set.

http://www.linuxemporium.co.uk/cheap.html (John Winters) says

    Red Hat® Linux
    We get a lot of requests for cheap CDs of Red Hat® Linux.
    Unfortunately the licence position of this distribution is no longer
    clear.  Since the release of Red Hat® Linux 8.0 the distribution is
    not entirely Open Source and the licence documents which surround it
    leave a lot of questions unanswered.  Until the status of Red Hat®
    Linux is clarified we will not be offering cheap CDs of it or
    anything equivalent.

    If you have the bandwidth you can still download ISOs (CD images) of
    it for yourself by visiting Red Hat®'s web site.

Although http://www.cheeplinux.co.uk/ does ship Cheep Linux 8.0
without any qualms AFAICT.

Maybe John's just being more cautious than CheepLinux, perhaps
justifiably so.

Cheers,

Ralph.