Re: [Fsfe-uk] AGM

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] AGM
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2003 18:54:14 -0000

OK, here's a summary of what's been going on recently about the AGM.

<ramble>
Consider this a sort of "pre-announcement" for now.  Please don't forward
it on to other lists yet, as there are a lot of things still to decide.
I just want to keep all interested people on the list informed.  Thank
you to everyone who has commented about the previous posts both on-
or off-list, and a massive THANK YOU to those who have offered to help
in various ways.  What follows probably qualifies as good evidence to
have us certified and committed, but let's go for it!  This could be
really great.

Currently, the idea is to have the AGM as part of an "AFFS Annual
Conference" (AFFSAC) held on Saturday 17th May 2003.  Likely time is
1100-1700, but the venue booking will probably decide that for us.
We still have a few venues still under consderation, but most of them are
in the midlands.  The conference will have a small ticket cost to cover
the room and refreshments, but members can attend AGM without conference.
Non-members will have to apply to join when they buy their conference
tickets.  Current members will be able to buy tickets first.  When the
venue is sold out, it is sold out and that's it.

The schedule for the day depends on the talks that are offered.  If we
are in the lovely situation of having more talks than time available,
priority will be given to members.  We'd love to hear more about what
our members actually *do* with free software and how free software is
used in their work or leisure.  It is a single-track conference, so we
can be flexible on talk time.

If you think you will be attending and wish to speak, please email
address@hidden with a short summary and desired time.  A "call for
talks" will be issued here and in the normal channels (news pages, cola,
linuxpr, UK LUGs, etc) once the basic details are settled.  After that,
anyone who has sent in a summary will be asked to confirm their talk,
a provisional list published and ticket sales will start.  Then we will
publish announcements for non-members.  I hope that we can publish a
final schedule by the start of May.

Most of the above is still not written in stone.  Anything that is not
written above may have been thought about, but no decision worthy of the
name has yet been taken.  Feel free to comment here or email me directly.
Offers of help will be welcome, of course.
</ramble>

MJR