[Fsfe-uk] More anti-swpat resources

From: James Heald
Subject: [Fsfe-uk] More anti-swpat resources
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2003 12:50:12 +0100

Vrijschrift have more artwork here (due to be transferred soon to their main artwork page):
    http://vrijschrift.org/brussel/

I like Tux with a headache from here:
    http://www.ffii.org/proj/kunst/swpat/
(note: the big version is *very* big)

There are also some cartoons here; the 'Fewer ideas, more patents one' might be useful, with accompanying text:
http://www.europeshareware.free.fr/pages/illustrations_ang.html

Something like this text of bullet points could make a good basis for one side of an A4, though we maybe want to chnge some of the bullets:

    http://www.europeshareware.free.fr/pages/brevets/fiche.us.html

Perhaps give it the headline

    Software Patents Directive:       Logo:Tux
      Free Software In Danger        w headache

As for the back, perhaps the 'In the heaven of Gates' cartoon, or 'Fewer ideas more patents' with a short block of text statement.

There's also a leaflet here used at the EU Parl JURI committee meeting,
though I'm not sure how well it works in a less up-to-speed context:
http://www.ffii.org/proj/kunst/swpat/pamflet/europarl03.en.pdf

along with some other campaign slugs:
http://www.ffii.org/proj/kunst/swpat/pamflet/

MORE MISC LINKS:

Another for the list of campaign sites:
http://www.europeshareware.free.fr/pages/brevets/brevets.fr.html

EXPLICATORY TEXTS:

Lengthier overview
http://www.tinet.org/~xdrudis/Patents/explicacio.en.html#mites

Overview of JURI report
http://www.tinet.org/~xdrudis/Patents/juri.en.html

IBM: The power of the patent portfolio
http://lpf.ai.mit.edu/Links/prep.ai.mit.edu/ibm.think.article

PRESS ARTICLE:

Lessig: the problem with patents
http://web.archive.org/web/20001018180812/www.thestandard.com/article/display/0,1151,4296,00.html

MORE QUOTES:

Quotes after the JURI vote
http://swpat.ffii.org/noticies/03/juri0617/index.en.html

Press release on winning the postponement
http://swpat.ffii.org/news/03/plen0626/index.en.html

which inspired eg:
http://www.europemedia.net/shownews.asp?ArticleID=16916

Might it be worth setting up a slashcode-style site (cf those of Caliu, and softwarepatenter.dk), to track the most recent developments, and as a useful link to point at, which we could seed with the most important quotes, developments and press coverage from the last few months ?

Story types eg
* patent news (tux with his head spinning)
* press coverage
* announcements

etc

All best,