Re: [Fsfe-uk] Stalls at Marxism 2003

From: Timothy Baldwin
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Stalls at Marxism 2003
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2003 15:55:26 +0100

On Wednesday 02 Jul 2003 2:50 pm, Timothy Baldwin wrote:

> I will write a draft covering the following points:
>
> 1. Patents are a form of interlectual property
> 2. Software patents are accumalate power in the hands of big business
> 3. Software patents infringe the freedom to write comuputer software.
> 4. Software patents are usually bariers to free software devlopment.

Heres my draft petition text:

Association For Free Software

We the undersigned demand that software patents should be abolished /  not
established. Software patents grant ownership of techniques used in writing
computer software, which make it illegal to use such techniques without the
permission of the patent holder. Given that the means of writing computer
software are affordable, this amounts to a serious attack on the personal
freedom to write computer software.Furthermore, due to the large number of
techniques used in the writing any one program, it is not possible for a
individual or organisation to ensure that it does not use any patentable
techniques, thus putting them at risk of being sued, especially by large
business which hold a lot of patents.

--
Member AFFS, WYLUG, SWP (UK), ANL, Leeds SA, Leeds Anti-war coalition
OpenPGP key fingerprint: D0A6 F403 9745 CED4 6B3B  94CC 8D74 8FC9 9F7F CFE4