Re: [Fsfe-uk] Increasing Membership

From: Andrew Savory
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Increasing Membership
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 13:08:30 +0100 (BST)

On Fri, 25 Jul 2003, Neil Darlow wrote:

> I'm not sure this would benefit the AFFS in a positive manner. Unless you
> make the AFFS membership discretionary, you are effectively imposing the
> membership on your customers. Some might just opt for a £10 reduction in
> your billing instead.

Sorry, some misunderstanding - the idea is I actually engage in a dialogue
with the customer, explaining why this is a good thing, how it costs them
nothing, and how it (indirectly) supports the software we are using for
their site.

It's a "we charge you the same, but optionally you get AFFS membership"
kind of deal.

> I also doubt that any such automatically billed membership would be
> renewed by a large number of your customers.

Well, that's the challenge for the AFFS - once they have members, how do
they retain them?

On Fri, 25 Jul 2003, Alex Hudson wrote:

> Would people find it useful to have some kind of ideas-wiki or something
> on www.affs.org.uk?

+1

Andrew.

--