Re: [Fsfe-uk] Increasing Membership

From: Ramanan Selvaratnam
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Increasing Membership
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 14:04:05 +0100

Andrew Savory wrote:

One of the things that AFFS suffers from is a limited membership.

I think limited active membership would be more appropriate.
(all respect to everyone who is busy, shy etc.)

Having a lot of active (or atleast membership due to conviction that free software is the best way forward) members will be great.
Lot of members and few active ones will be good enough too.

Lot of members and very little active memebers will be bad and could be counter productive too.

There
were various discussions about "associate membership" and signing up
teachers a while back. I'd like to suggest other approachs (which may have
come up before)

I remember someone suggesting that our overhead costs are not too big and that we have the technological know how to manage a lot of members through voluteer work.
Further there are no other big spending plans i the near futur, AFAIK.

The way I remember it was not clear what rights the associate members should have and easy it should be to become one.

To us, 10 pounds will make little
difference to the total price.
True but should it not be in the form of a donation to AFFS.
Maybe the option to donate more or different levels of full membership could begranted to those who feel rich enough.

One benefit from this is that AFFS will get more funds and more members,

IMHO more members should be treated seperately to the funds.

and even more exposure as it will be directly mentioned in invoices, etc
A simple quiz to highlight the freedoms in software issue followed by a lower level of membership would be more beneficial for exposure.

(demanding money greatly focuses the mind!).

I disagree.

Best regards,

Ramanan