[Fsfe-uk] Software patents and RoboCode

From: Robert (Jamie) Munro
Subject: [Fsfe-uk] Software patents and RoboCode
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2003 14:41:53 +0100

Bear with me on this one - it might be valuable in the fight against software patents.

The other day, I discovered the game RoboCode from IBM:
http://robocode.alphaworks.ibm.com/home/home.html

In it, there a bunch of robots running around a battlefield shooting against each other. Just like many other silly computer games. The difference is that instead of driving the robots, you write code (in Java) to drive the robots.

I wrote 3 different robots in an afternoon. I'm sure that anyone interested enough aged over 10 could write a robot. Each of them could be patentable. I think that any Robot in this game could be patentable because they could all be used to drive real robot tanks on a real battlefield (or models on a model battlefield, like the Robot Wars program). I think this serves as a good illustration of how trivial patentable software is.

I want to be sure that I can't be sued when I win the RoboCode championship (or even if I don't) because some real tank manufacturer had the same idea as me before I did, but I never found out

Robert Munro

Ps. I just got a reply from one MEP who said "The proposal sets out to clearly delineate areas where software can only be patented as part of a technical process involving external devices." I've asked for clarification of where the term "external devices" came from, but I expect that you could easily build a robot wars type machine (or even a real military tank) and program it with my RoboCode patents.