Re: [Fsfe-uk] Software patents and RoboCode

From: Alex Hudson
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Software patents and RoboCode
Date: 09 Sep 2003 15:15:29 +0100

On Tue, 2003-09-09 at 14:41, Robert (Jamie) Munro wrote:
> Ps. I just got a reply from one MEP who said "The proposal sets out to
> clearly delineate areas where software can only be patented as part of a
> technical process involving external devices." I've asked for
> clarification of where the term "external devices" came from, but I
> expect that you could easily build a robot wars type machine (or even a
> real military tank) and program it with my RoboCode patents.

Better, ask him how it would be possible to run software without
"external devices". The "technical effect" doesn't need to be a device
separate from the computer, UKPTO are quite clear that the technical
effect can be found in the computer running the software. So, as long as
there is a device that runs the software, a technical effect can be
found.

Of course, the corrollary is that software which is not run on computers
is unpatentable :D