Re: [Fsfe-uk] Spam lists

From: Alex Hudson
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Spam lists
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2003 07:41:05 +0100

On Tue, 2003-10-07 at 00:20, Chris Croughton wrote:
> OK, can someone tell me how this spammer has got hold of this address?
> It is only used for this mailing list, has the membership list been
> compromised?  Has anyone else on the list had the same spam to their
> list receiving address?

My list receiving address isn't unique to this list, so I wouldn't be
able to tell you. It is odd, though.

Although the gnu.org archives are reasonably well protected; ones
elsewhere are not - have any of your mails been forwarded to other lists
that you know of?

I would be suprised if a spammer was subbed to the list; more likely
that someone on list got a dose of virus and broadcast your mail address
or similar (although, I haven't really received any of that either, and
I would expect to for that theory to hold).

The one unthinkable that I can think of is that it's not that long since
gnu.org got cracked - they said the cracker didn't harm the software;
perhaps he was only after mailing lists. It's been a while, so the list
might not be so obviously 'hot' any more except for the fact that you've
used a mailing list unique receive address.