[Fsfe-uk] AP: Windows - More Flawed Than Ever

From: Paul Mobbs
Subject: [Fsfe-uk] AP: Windows - More Flawed Than Ever
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 21:40:21 +0100

http://go.hotwired.com/news/technology/0,1282,60832,00.html/wn_ascii

Windows: More Flawed Than Ever

Associated Press
WIRED: 02:20 PM Oct. 15, 2003 PT

WASHINGTON -- Microsoft warned consumers Wednesday about four critical new
flaws in its popular Windows software as the company shifted to monthly
alerts for serious problems that could let hackers break into computers.

In particularly embarrassing disclosures, Microsoft acknowledged problems in
its technology to authenticate software publishers over the Web and in its
Windows help and support system.

The company said it did not believe hackers were yet exploiting any of the
vulnerabilities it announced.

Microsoft said last week it will begin issuing monthly warnings and software
patches, responding to frustration from technology managers who must apply
sporadic patches each week across hundreds of computers inside corporations.

The company said it expects to release future warnings on the second Tuesday
or Wednesday of each month. It has promised to rush out an emergency patch
midmonth if it determines hackers are actively breaking into computers using
a flaw it can repair immediately.

Separately, Microsoft began offering Windows XP users a single, convenient
patch that combines 22 previous updates. It was aimed at customers who
haven't diligently applied every software patch or who recently bought a new
computer or recently installed Windows from scratch.

All four of the most dangerous new vulnerabilities affect versions of Windows
2000, which is commonly used by corporations and government agencies. Three
of them also affect other Windows versions, including Microsoft's flagship
Windows XP software, popular among home users, and Windows Server 2003 for
businesses.

Microsoft shares rose 55 cents to close at $29.07 in Wednesday trading on the
New York Stock Exchange.

==========

"We are not for names, nor men, nor titles of Government, nor are we for
this party nor against the other but we are for justice and mercy and
truth and peace and true freedom, that these may be exalted in our nation,
and that goodness, righteousness, meekness, temperance, peace and unity
with God, and with one another, that these things may abound."
(Edward Burroughs, 1659 - from 'Quaker Faith and Practice')

Paul Mobbs, Mobbs' Environmental Investigations,
tel./fax (+44/0)1295 261864

email - address@hidden
website - http://www.fraw.org.uk/mobbsey.html
public key - http://www.fraw.org.uk/keylist.html