[Fsfe-uk] Wanted: replies to UKPO 2nd Software Patent consultation (Spri

From: James Heald
Subject: [Fsfe-uk] Wanted: replies to UKPO 2nd Software Patent consultation (Spring 2002)
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 22:18:24 +0100

I have just found a document from last year where a minister convinces the UK Parliament's select committee on European scrutiny that, of all the responses to the *second* UK Patent Office consulation (Spring 2002), when the UKPO wrote back to all of the respondents from the first consultaton, the Software Patents directive had the complete undivided support of the whole UK Industry:

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/cgi-bin/ukparl_hl?DB=ukparl&STEMMER=en&WORDS=softwar+patent+&COLOUR=Red&STYLE=s&URL=/pa/cm200102/cmselect/cmeuleg/152-xli/15216.htm#muscat_highlighter_first_match

Considering that those written back to should have included people like Alan Cox, this cliam seems utterly not credible.

If anybody still has file copies of what their answers to this second consultation, these could now be *very* useful if the minister's comments are to be exposed.

Extracts from the document:

Background

14.2 We noted the Commission's conclusion that the balance of advantage lay with harmonisation on the basis of existing EPO practice and with making the conditions of patentability more transparent. We also noted that the Government's own consultation had reached the conclusion that software should not be patentable where there was no technological innovation, but that such innovations should not cease to be patentable merely because the innovation lay in software. The consultation also showed a need for the law to express this more clearly. In relation to the draft Directive, we noted that the Government would be consulting on how far the proposal met these objectives, and asked the Government to provide an analysis of the responses to the consultation.

The Minister' reply

14.3 ... The Minister explains that of those who offered views on the draft Directive, all welcomed the aim of setting out and clarifying the status quo, which they recognised as being also the Government's position.

Conclusion of the Committee

14.6 ... We note that the consultees all support the aim of the Directive in setting out the current status quo on patentability, and that this is in accordance with the view of the Government.

[Careful reader: note that what the minister apparently wrote was that all who wrote supported the aim of setting out the status quo; not that all supported the aim of the Directive. Neat verbal engineering by Sir Humphrey, or what ?]