Re: [Fsfe-uk] [Proposal] Mailing lists

From: ian
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 22:20:05 +0100

On Thu, 2003-10-23 at 18:02, Andrew Savory wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Oct 2003, Nick Hill wrote:

> > Many people may not have the time or resources to devote. In which case,
> > a £10 subscription and following an email list will help.

But if you really believe its important you make the time *and* pay £10
:-)

> I think the implication (intended or not) that paying the membership is
> something for those without time to help is not quite right. Many of the
> most active people are paid-up members too :-)
>
> The problem I see is this: in today's society, it's easier to be
> recognised and to get your views heard if you are speaking on behalf of a
> large body of people rather than just for yourself.

Yes, this is called democracy. Even sizable minorities get a say but
individuals that are different tend to get labelled as cranks.

>  So, AFFS is going to
> be more effective with every person we sign up. It will make us a better
> lobbying group (politics, I know, sorry), but it will also give us the
> ability to achieve many other things too - co-ordinating efforts, sharing
> work, speaking with a common voice, and so on.

Let's look at a specific example. In education, the government makes
schools spend £100m of taxpayers money on proprietary licensed software
through E-learning credits but puts zero into the development of free
software for schools. If the AFFS had say 100,000 members I could
guarantee I would get in front of the relevant Minister and make out a
case to put say £10m a year into FLOSS development aimed at schools. As
things are I *might* manage it anyway but it will have to be via a lot
more hard (unpaid) work and it will take a lot longer. We are competing
for resources and in that sense yes its political. There is no two ways
about it, but its software politics not party politics. It will only
become party politics if one party adopts one position and the
opposition the other. At the moment its just massive ignorance that is
the main problem and we need an "official" voice to educate in
Government circles because they don't take individuals seriously.

> As I see it, the AFFS gives Free Software advocates in the UK an
> opportunity to stand up and be counted, which being a "de facto member"
> does not. I'd go as far as to say "de facto member" is misleading: you're
> not a member until you're willing to stand up and be counted as one.
> There's no such thing as "almost Free" ;-)

Let's have a bit of religion too :-) If you are hot or cold I will
swallow you up, if you are luke warm I'll spit you out.

> I don't mean this as a personal attack - I just want to understand why any
> Free Software person in the UK would not join up. If you can continue to
> answer the points I raise, that would help!

I agree. The last thing we want to do is alienate potential members! But
if people really want FLOSS to succeed badly enough I hope they see the
logic in joining the AFFS officially. Go on give us a tenner, you know
it makes sense ;-)

--
ian <address@hidden>