Re: [Fsfe-uk] Fwd: Microsoft Research External Lecture: Dr Stefan Kooths

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Fwd: Microsoft Research External Lecture: Dr Stefan Kooths, University of Muenster
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 09:01:02 +0000

On 2004-01-13 19:46:30 +0000 James Heald <address@hidden> forwarded:

Open Source Software does not represent a suitable alternative to the
commercial software market from an economic point of view [...]

If this really is the speaker's view, I hope that someone attending will point out that "Open Source" (or, more properly, Free, Libre and Open Source) is not exclusive with "commercial". Of course, the fairer market pricing of GPL-licensed software has far-reaching consequences, but they are not the same as having "no price". It also looks like we have a capitalist economist arguing that a market with competition is less efficient overall, which seems contradictory to me.

I am currently rushing around gathering paper for some compulsary filing dates, so will be not attending. If anyone can distribute AFFS http://www.affs.org.uk/ leaflets there, I'd appreciate it and I can post a batch out to you today. Email me off-list with your address, please.

http://mjr.towers.org.uk/ gopher://g.towers.org.uk/ address@hidden