Re: [Fsfe-uk] Newham: Richard Steel speaks (Techworld)

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Newham: Richard Steel speaks (Techworld)
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 00:40:03 +0000

On 2004-01-25 21:02:20 +0000 Alex Hudson <address@hidden> wrote:

On Sun, 2004-01-25 at 20:16, MJ Ray wrote:
Some things might be doable with portable macros.

What portable macros? I don't know of any such solution. VBA [...]

Some software has portable macros and some Excel macros used to be readable by other spreadsheets. Maybe Microsoft have done away with them to help cause lock-in but, as I said, this is not really where I'm working now (thank the fates). I agree that VBA isn't really a macro language.

I think some Office APIs are accessible to other programs through more normal interfaces anyway. There again, we probably return to whether using APIs directly in an unportable way is a saving or deferral of a large cost. The software engineering ideas of cohesion and coupling that I was taught at uni seem relevant, but no-one seems to talk about them any more.

Office comes #5 in CW's top contract skills
by demand, and #8 in top perm skills (#9 is VB, and I would say that the
set of "Office AND VB" is probably a significant size).

I don't doubt you, but it would make me happier to have a proper reference for claims like this.

http://mjr.towers.org.uk/ gopher://g.towers.org.uk/ address@hidden